Lovelace Park is located on Barnes Road in Southside. Just east of the park resides Victoria Park, Greenfield Elementary School, and Southside Middle School. The Skinner Brothers Realty Co. deeded the property to Duval County in 1916, and it remained undeveloped until the park was created in 1974, after the death of local conservationist Curtis Lovelace (1930-1973). Mr. Lovelace headed the Citizen’s Committee of 100, an organization that published a newsletter about environmental problems, and he was one of the most vocal advocates for local conservation, often appearing before government agencies. Initially, the park contained picnic facilities, benches, and a nature trail, and in 2002 the City added an asphalt pathway, sidewalks, a playscape, and more. Set amidst towering pine trees, this lovely park provides opportunities for both active and passive recreation and also the peaceful enjoyment of nature.